Friday, March 02, 2007

Time + Opportunity = Change

Since the last posting, I have had a complete change of scene. My wife was unable to find any kind of work while in Nebraska. I was nearing the end of the summer term and we had to make a choice about moving. Living apart again wasn't really an option, but it was talked about. She did look at jobs close to where we were, but still nothing. It all came down to moving back to Minneapolis. She received some job offers up there and wasn't sure about it. We also found out that if one leaves a grant-funded position in the middle of the semester, that student (me) would have to pay the grant back.

So here we are back in Minneapolis. I have been keeping busy with substitute teaching and working on a paper that was due last summer. Kim now has a full-time job.

The transition back to teaching and working with jr. high and high school was not as hard as I thought it might be. I found that my background with emotional behavioral disorders and classroom management really helped out. Much like my transition from Windows to Linux, which has also happened over the course of these months. I have set-up a home server, so now Kim and I have automated back-ups running. I am not completely running solely on Linux, there are still a few things I need Windows for. All in all it has been good.

I am Mr. Peabody and I am embracing my inner tech-geek.

No comments: