Sunday, March 04, 2007

But I want a movie and I want it now....

So last night, the wife and I were a little out of luck. The Netflix movies that we had to return were still in the place that we had set them to remember to mail them out. We don't really have a monstrous movie collection and we have seen most of the movies about a gazillion times and no less.

Fortunately, I had been lurking on Digg the previous night, which is what I usually do when I can't sleep, and found a link that told how to turn on the "Watch it Now" feature within Netflix. I was quite happy to see it and to try it out. The main draw back for me was in order for the feature to work, only Internet Explorer would work with it. I don't have WINE (the windows environment simulator) working because I use VMWare for the total emulation. So, I fired up VMWare with Windows XP. followed the simple steps and it worked. Within the VM environment it was fine for me to watch, but not so much for the two of us.

I shut my laptop and ran the VGA cable to my older DLP TV and there you have it. I did have to boot into my Windows side of the computer as I don't have a huge amount of space for the VMWindows. We ended up watching two movies that night, "Hell House" and "Clue." Both were fine in terms of quality. It did remind me of watching a friends copy that they had taped off cable from their top loading VCR. I just wish that their was a bigger selection of movies to work with, but I understand I did jump into the "Watch it Now" options before I was told officially that it was ready.

I am Mr. Peabody and I am trying to get the most out of what I already have.

No comments: